MinimServer has a great reputation as a high performance UPnP dedicated Music Server. It can be installed on a Melco N1 relatively easily.
Please visit http://minimserver.com/
The authors of MinimServer have kindly prepared a detailed private web page with all the instructions clearly laid out and all download links present. Please remember to make a donation to the authors of MinimServer in order to allow for support – which is really excellent – and to permit continued development and refinement of MinimServer.
How to install Minimserver on Melco N1
To install MinimServer onto Melco there are really three stages.
- Firstly a JAVA environment has to be created on the Melco. The can only be done at present by the user downloading Java directly and accepting the T&C from Oracle – the publishers of Java.
- Once Java is installed MinimServer and the associated MinimStreamer can be installed easily.
- Finally in order to monitor the operation of MinimServer, MinimWatch should be installed onto any PC or Mac on the same network as the Melco. This is not essential, but does improve management.UPnP Server as well as local player into USB DAC.
Detailed instructions and download links
The authors of MinimServer have kindly prepared for Melco users a dedicated private web page. This details the precise steps to be taken to install Minim-Server and components onto a Melco N1. This is greatly simplified by the web page also containing the current links to the various software steps.
Link to the private page of instructions for Melco users.
After installing MinimServer, both MinimServer and twonky media server which is supplied with the Melco FW already could be used at the same time. If you are using MELCO FW 3.73B (Beta firmware), you could set twonky media server off from
Setting - Media Server - Twonky Service.
What do I need to install MinimServer?
The N1 needs to be configured onto a Network and the automatic Power Save function set to OFF for the installation process.
Secondly a PC or Mac is required connected to the internet, to access the above web page, and to download from the various links.
A USB stick will be needed for the files – less than 100MB.
Finally it is necessary to have a PC or Mac on the same network as the Melco onto which MinimWatch can be installed.
There is no configuration - it is basically a simple two stage process, BACKUP from USB and then move USB to EXPANSION to read additional data files. Everything else is automatic providing that the Melco is connected to the Internet.
MinimWatch should be running on a PC or Mac connected to the same network.
- To clarify that Minimserver is running
- To allow the system to be aware of any updates to MinimServer, MinimStreamer (the DoP converter) and other components. These will automatically install when notified and accepted.
- To allow for the user to make specific configuration to the way that MinimServer operates – a valuable feature ensuring the best user experience. The default settings are a good starting point. The MinimServer website and Forums are a great resource for configuration.
- Finally to allow the MinimServer to be SCANNED in the event of new music being added to the libraries either within the Melco
or those being accessed by the Melco. (New music added does not automatically initiate a rescan of MinimServer and to make the music visible MinimServer should be rescanned from MinimWatch on a PC or Mac after music has been added).
RESCANNING the database
Rescanning of the music database is achieved by using MinimWatch (point 4 above) or can be initiated from the MinimServer Status Page at http://x.x.x.x:9790 where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the N1.
Installing MinimServer adds a new Library to the Melco N1. The new library will be simply seen as MinimServer [N1-xxxx] (If music seems to be missing from this Library simply select RESCAN from MinimWatch on the networked PC.)
Melco N1 Front Panel OLED Display
The Melco N1 has an informative front panel display – this usually shows the file name being passed to the external player which is usually the Track Name.
At this stage, using the MinimServer library this function is not enabled. Metadata etc of course is displayed on the interface of the player. We hope to be able to address this small limitation at some stage in the future.